1.19.2010

The Story of My Firstborn Pt.1

I don't know why, but I feel like I should share my story on the birth and adoption of my firstborn.
The names of the adoptive couple and my caseworker have been changed to protect their privacy, wow that sounded so official :)
The beginning of the story may be confusing but it all ties together, I promise :)
Okay, here we go....

2004 did not exactly go as planned. No, not exactly, not even close. I had spent the previous year (2003-2004) living and going to school in St.George, Utah and I couldn't be happier. I had made great friends, won Student of the Year, and was involved in many activities. Just loving life.

One day in March of 2004 my mom called and said that she and my dad would be taking a quick trip down to St. George to see me. I hadn't been home in awhile so I didn't really think anything of it. When they arrived we went to lunch at my favorite Mexican place. While waiting for our food to arrive my Dad all of the sudden blurts out 'We may have found your birth mom.'

To make a VERY long story semi shorter here's what had happened a few weeks previous:
My mom had gone on vacation to Portland earlier that month to see some cousins. Since my brother works for the airline she usually flew standby which sometimes made for long waits in the airport. On this particular ocassion she wasn't able to get on the first flight so she sat down to wait. She sat next to Carol.

My Mom is a pretty social person so she struck up a conversation with Carol and they found out that they both lived in utah, they were both LDS, (our religion), and they both had experience with adoption. My mom didn't tell her that she herself had adopted children, just that she knew of some people who had. Carol went on to tell my mom that 21 years ago her step-daughter had given her little girl up for adoption. She continued to tell of her step-daughter's story in pretty good detail and my mom was shocked. I was the baby that Carol was talking about. The date fit, the details fit, everything fit. It was me.
Not wanting to overstep boundaries, my mom didn't say anything to Carol about what she had discovered, but the two exchanged information so they could get together when they were both back in Utah to do some geneology. Then they went their separate ways.

Before my Mom got on her flight, she called my Dad with Carol's name and number and told him to write it down just in case the plane crashed. :)




3 comments:

Enjoying Our Journey said...

So I start to read, although I have heard this story from your own lips, I wanted to read it. But then it just stops. Again, I am left without more. *sigh* I guess I will just have to wait.

Unknown said...

Great start Melissa, can't wait to read more! Love, Liza

Joni said...

Of course this would happen to your mom...only she could start up a life changing conversation with a total stranger in the airport just to pass time!