8.26.2011

Makes Me Grumpy.

Today I was talking to a good friend of mine about her daughter who's just started her junior year of High School. She was telling me how hard this first week was going to be because of how afraid her daughter was of her peers, because she had been picked on year after year.

I couldn't help but think back to my time in Elementary School, especially fifth and sixth grade.
I started developing earlier than most kids so I was always a lot taller and 'thicker' than the other kids.
So one day in fifth grade some genius came up the the nickname "Tonka" (buffalo in Indian) and "Moose", it stuck, and I heard it multiple times a day.
Oh, and let's not forget my favorite, when I would walk into the classroom the kids would pretend there was an earthquake and fall off their chairs.

Awesome right?

I know. I miss it.

Pfft.

These were hard times for me, and I went home almost daily in tears.

It makes me scared for Blythe. Terrified to put her into the "lions den". Kids are cruel and anyone who's even the least bit different, whatever that is, is singled out and picked on.

Tonight as we walked over to feed the ducks I started talking to Blythe about starting preschool and always being nice to everyone, and to never make people feel bad.

She listened for a minute then finally looked up at me and says, "Mom, I will, I promise, it will all be fine."

It actually made me feel better.

Bullies make me grumpy.

2 comments:

Enjoying Our Journey said...

I can't believe kids were that mean to you! I am sorry Melissa! If I had been in your elementary I would never have done those things. I was also bullied in school. One time in Jr. High a big tongan girl said she was going to kill me, for reasons unknown to me. I ran for my life and hid in a bathroom stall. The toilet next to me was overflowing, so I stood on the toilet for 2 reasons, 1 to stay dry, and 2 so she would not be able to see me feet. The bell rang and a 8th grader told the girl to leave me alone or else she would tell the principal, or Mr Lindsey. So she left. Another time I was walking down the hall in between classes when some kid thought it would be funny to rip my backpack open, and EVERYTHING fell out. The crowd parted like the red sea, and no one helped me pick it all up. Kids are awful, but look at us now. :) I would rather be the nerd, than be the bully. We are awesome now! And I love you so very very much!

Joellen said...

Melisssa, havent seen your blog in A LONG time. I HATE bullies too. Hope your sweet littlte family is good. Where are you living these days? Love, Joellen